FERAL FEEDING STATIONS FOR COMMUNITY CATS
It is important to feed your community cats in sanitary manner. Keep all food and water dishes/bowls clean.
How much do I feed?
- While gauging how much to leave, observe the cats and use your discretion based on the time it takes for the food to be eaten. If the cats eat all of the food in 15 minutes or less, consider putting out a bit more.
- If there is consistently food remaining after a half hour, put out a bit less.
- Although most cats clearly enjoy canned food, feeding a colony dry food alone is fine as well. It is less expensive and just as nutritious.
- Remove uneaten food within 30 minutes. Never allow food to sit out, as it may attract insects or wildlife.
- Do not expect all of the cats to eat at the same time or worry that some may not be getting their share. Within a colony, cats with seniority or stronger personalities may eat before those who are lower on the social scale. Those who eat first leave food for the others. Do not be concerned about or try to manage this social interaction. It is perfectly normal.
- Outdoor cats need clean water daily and during all conditions.
- If you notice that the cats are not using the water you provide, try moving it a short distance away from their food. Cats sometimes prefer this arrangement.
Feeding and shelter!